Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Really??

So, I was at my gym the other morning and afterwards I saw a piece of paper saying "Cancer and causes". While I was standing at the counter stretching I gave it a quick skim through. I started to laugh in disbelief, when I saw "Cancer is 100% curable".......Really someone better let the rest of the world know. Because people are losing loved ones by the minute. So as I read it was insinuating that all cancers can be cured and prevented by working out. 
Does working out cure cancer? No, not that I know of or else our gyms would be overflowing with people. However, working out and maintaining a healthy weight can give you a slightly decreased risk. However exercise will NOT CURE CANCER!!! When I do go back to my gym, I will make sure to give them the correct information.
 Being overweight after menopause and gaining weight as an adult are some risk factors. I felt a little disappointed, as though they were trying to trick people in to working out.

 As of right now, I'm at a slight risk for getting breast cancer because my mom recently had it and also my paternal grandmother. Not to mention, just simply being a woman and getting older. Being a 30 year old woman my chances of getting breast cancer is 1 in 229, by the age of 40 it will be 1 in 69.

 I was on the SGK  facebook page and there was a post about lumpectomies. As I read through I was surprised to read about such young women having double mastectomies. There were two the really caught my attention, they were 27 and 32 years old. I could only think to myself, how hard that must have been. Then my thoughts went to their families. How do you deal with hearing that your child has cancer and at an age where they are just begining to live their lives.

 Please, I beg of you to do your self breast exams every month. The recommended age for mammograms is 40 years old. Which means these young women, were able to notice something wasn't right.


PLEASE, PLEASE...DO YOUR EXAMS AND REMIND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS TO DO THE SAME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment